If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you almost certainly run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation given by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying on the hotels in the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was one of the many concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine game. We have got all seen the small digital bingo card with the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and better casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed in the trust with the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it turned out found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split while using State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. here The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside of the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling can be an accepted method for governments to improve funds. It is seen as source of money that's easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour vast amounts into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing large sums to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling far better stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling fires up the human brain the same way that cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?